A few weeks ago I joined my two supervisors, a post doc and the skipper of the F/V Mythos on an eight day whale research cruise up the eastern side of Kodiak Island into Perenosa Bay. The weather was somewhat uncooperative but the scenery was stunning and it was really special to see a whole new part of Kodiak Island. Bree and I were nestled into the tiny hatch cabin in the fish hold of the Mythos while the others slept in the main cabin. The days flew by, each with its own personality and theme. The first day, desperate to become productive, we decided to launch the skiff and ended up getting lost in the thick fog for about five hours before the Mythos located us. I don't think I've ever seen such constant rain as during those eight days. Finally, late on our last evening, the weather cleared and the water was glassy calm. This was the night that the most amazing thing happened. I was told that it was my time to biopsy a whale. I've never fired a real gun before but I knew it didn't make a difference because I was going to do it anyway; I've been looking forward to this opportunity for years. Despite my anxiety, excitement and shaky hands, I fired right below the dorsal fin and we got the skin and blubber we needed. The whale fluked up more dramatically than normal and exposed its beautiful tail. It is my new favorite fluke of all time! Bree and Kate named her "Sophie Pancake" in my honor.
Kate is pointing to the southern part of the mouth of Perenosa Bay where we saw a large congregation of humpbacks feeding cooperatively several days in a row.
Here's a photo taken from the Mythos while I was practicing how to hold a rifle.
I hope I didn't hurt you, Sophie Pancake.

No comments:
Post a Comment