This weekend we took advantage of the long hours of daylight and went fishing on Chena Lake until the sun finally grew tired and fell toward the horizon. The beavers were relentless, slapping their paddle tails with irritation spurred on by our shiny new inflatable raft and bright orange oars. Their dam was quite impressive and I don't blame them for feeling a bit protective. On the way to the lake, we passed through a small town called North Pole where "the spirit of Christmas lives year 'round." This is my new favorite place. I'm excited to visit this winter and meet the real Santa Claus!
Not until we decided to disembark the raft and hobble up onto a tiny island did we have some real luck.
Although some of were more fortuitous than others, we both came out as winners.
The sun's departure behind the birch trees was our cue to leave.
But the night was not over! Yet another Alaskan surprise was waiting for us at home when
we spotted a momma moose and her calf meandering near the neighbor's truck. I was surprised at how
tall the adult female was. I've never seen a moose (or a beaver) in the wild before. What a weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment